Benefits of the Certification Process
- Integration of an eco-effective vision that provides differentiation from competitors and enhancement of brand value and reputation
- External verification of a product’s design for future use cycles, safety to human and environmental health, and sustainable manufacturing processes
- Expert evaluations of product ingredients throughout the supply chain for toxicity hazards and risks in context of use
- Defined trajectory for optimizing product design and manufacturing processes
- Characterization and mitigation of potential environmental issues & risks
- Third-party assessments that can provide data to verify claims about your products, meet requlations, or contribute to other certifications
Benefits of Being Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM
- Eligibility to sell to federal agencies under the U.S. EPA Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Program and be listed in the EPA’s online database . The EPP program helps agencies across the federal government comply with green purchasing requirements and utilize the estimated $350billion of spending power on green products and services.
- Ability to earn points towards becoming a Certified B Corporation and join a community of corporations that use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems(www.bcorporation.net).
- Eligibility to be included in Material ConneXion’s virtual and physical material libraries.
- Use of the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM mark and promotion of certified products by MBDC and its partners
PRODUCTS USED IN BUILDINGS
- Eligibility for LEED v4 credits under the Materials & Resources Category (MR c4) Building product disclosure and optimization – material ingredients in several ratings systems, including BD+C, ID+C, and EBOM. (Read more about the new LEED v4 credits).
- Eligibility for LEED credits in the LEED for Homes 2008 rating system under Materials & Resources category MR2.2 Environmentally Preferable Material. (View a descriptionof the LEED for Homes Credit on pages 16-17 of the USGBC reference document.)
- Eligibility for LEED credits under the Innovation in Design category in all LEED rating systems. (View a description of the LEED Innovation in Design Credit affiliated with certification. Read a case study about the SmithGroup’s LEED project that received the ID credit).
- Listing in GreenWizard software that streamlines the process of sourcing and purchasing sustainable building materials and manages the documentation required for LEED certification.
- Recognition in the architecture and interior design communities as Cradle to Cradle Certified products are preferred by more and more architecture firms, including William McDonough + Partners and HDR.
- Preferred status for being specified in for more and more building projects, such as Park 20|20 in Netherlands and Make It Right homes in New Orleans.
- Ability to use the product inventory and toxicity assessment data towards the Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA) level certification.
Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM is a certification mark licensed by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.